Ontario Farmland Preservation
Bernard was raised on the family farm in Innisfil and currently controls the operation on this farm. Also included in the mix is a large Managed Forest, North of Huntsville, and the home farm at Bass Lake where Bernard lives with his wife Beverley. He worked for Western Mechanical – Barrie, for 26 years as a Construction Project Manager, until retiring in October 2011.
Having always loved the soil, Bernard was incensed when he heard about plans for the development of solar facilities in Simcoe County that would, if approved, remove 800 acres of food producing farmland from the county.
In May of 2010, he established Ontario Farmland Preservation, to bring awareness to the plight of rural Ontario. Deputations to municipal councils in Simcoe County and deputations to the Ontario Municipal Board and Queen’s Park have helped bring the message of the preservation of farmland to the policy makers.
As well as the responsibilities of Ontario Farmland Preservation, Bernard serves the following organizations:
- Simcoe County Federation of Agriculture –Vice President
- Ontario Federation of Agriculture – Policy Advisory Council – Member
- AWARE Simcoe – Policy Advisory Committee
- Simcoe Solar Farm Awareness Project – Co-Founder and Director
- Ontario Farmland Trust – Chair
- NVCA Agricultural Advisory Committee – Member
- Simcoe County Greenbelt Coalition – Member